A heating system for high-throughput live cell imaging with stable and homogenous temperature during high resolution microscopy
- Easy installation on inverted microscopes that have a K-frame fitting (160 mm x 110 mm)
- Includes an Incubation Chamber for multiwell plates, ideal for high-throughput live cell imaging using motorized stages
- For long-term physiologic conditions on the microscope with precisely controlled temperature, humidity, CO2, and O2, ibidi offers Stage Top Incubators, which combine the ibidi Heating System and the ibidi Gas Incubation System
- ibidi Temperature Controller – Silver Line
- Incubation Chamber Multiwell Plate – Silver Line
The ibidi Heating System is ideal for live cell imaging experiments that require physiologic conditions on the microscope.
Combined with the ibidi Gas Incubation System, it serves as a complete Stage Top Incubator, precisely controlling essential parameters such as temperature, humidity, and CO2/O2 levels on the microscope to get reproducible results of, for example:
- Chemotaxis assays
- Angiogenesis assays
- Cell migration assays
- Wound healing assays
- Proliferation assays
- Cell culture under flow assays
- Hypoxia experiments
The ibidi Heating System is optimized for high-resolution imaging applications that require extra focus stability, for example:
|Solutions for 1 Slide or DishWith the ibidi Heating System Slide/
Dish – Silver Line, we also offer low-throughput live cell microscopy solutions.
|Temperature Controller – Silver Line
|90 x 170 x 230 mm³
|1.75 kg / 3.86 lbs
|External power supply
|AC 100–240 V, 50/60 Hz, 2 A
|Incubation Chamber Multiwell Plate – Silver Line
|Temperature control range
|5 degrees higher than ambient temperature (min.18°C) to 45°C
|160 x 130 x 30 mm3
(fits 160 x 110 mm2 K-frames)
|Fitting cell culture vessels
|Multiwell plates with an ANSI/SLAS (SBS) standard format including the ibidi µ-Plates
(85.5 x 127.5 mm2)
|430 g / 0.95 lbs
|Female Luer connector with Luer lock
|Working distance condenser
|≥ 26 mm
|Working distance objective lens
|> 1 mm for multiwell plates with a 180 µm coverslip bottom (e.g., µ-Plate 96 Well Black)
|> 2 mm for multiwell plates with a thick bottom
- Easy installation on inverted microscopes that have a 160 mm x 110 mm K-frame
- Highest focus stability during microscopy due to heat regulation by continuous current (minimum temperature/z-position fluctuations)
- Fits multiwell plates with an ANSI/SLAS (SBS) standard format (85.5 x 127.5 mm2) including the ibidi µ-Plates
- Brilliant images without disturbing condensation on the lid due to optimal heat distribution across the Heated Lid
- Suitable for oil immersion microscopy when used with the Objective Heater Universal – Silver Line (not included)
- Suitable for DIC microscopy and TIRF
- Can be combined with the ibidi Gas Incubation System to create a complete Stage Top Incubator for long-term physiologic conditions on the microscope with controlled temperature, humidity, CO2, and O2
- Humidity sensor is integrated into the Heated Lid and close to the sample
- Reduced number of cables for easy handling
- Includes IncuControl software for instrument control and data recording via a notebook
- Includes external temperature sensor (e.g., for measuring the sample temperature during calibration of the system)
Compatibility to Microscopes
|K-Frame Stages (160 mm x 110 mm)
|Ti-S-E and Ti-S-ER Stages with ibidi Stage Adapter
|MS 2000 Series
PZ 2000 Series
|K-Frame Opening (160 mm x 110 mm)
|BioPrecision 2 Inverted
Biopoint 2 Inverted
|SCAN IM Series (except SCAN IM 50 x 50)
|K-Frame Opening (160 mm x 110 mm)
|PI (Physik Instrumente)
M-687.XX (from 2012 on)
|Scanning Stage 130 x 85 mot. P
K-Frame Opening (160 mm x 110 mm)
The Principle of the ibidi Heating System – Silver Line
Cells react sensitively to changes in their environment. Factors such as temperature, humidity/evaporation, and CO2/O2 levels significantly influence the outcome of cell culture assays. Therefore, it is crucial to maintain optimal conditions during live cell imaging experiments on the microscope stage to achieve biologically relevant and reproducible results.
The ibidi Heating System creates stable and homogenous temperatures for high-resolution live cell microscopy. It fits into inverted microscope stages with a universal mounting frame for multiwell plates. It consists of the ibidi Temperature Controller and the ibidi Incubation Chamber (Heated Lid and Heated Plate). When placed in the ibidi Incubation Chamber, the microscopy slides are kept at a stable, defined temperature during the live cell imaging experiment on the microscope.
For full control of the incubation environment, ibidi offers Stage Top Incubators, which combine the ibidi Heating System and the ibidi Gas Incubation System, to regulate humidity, temperature, CO2, and (optionally) O2 concentrations.
Brilliant Images Without Condensation
The temperature of the Heated Lid of the ibidi Heating System – Silver Line is independently controlled and optimally distributed, thereby solving the frequently occurring problem of condensation during live cell imaging.
A vertical temperature gradient is created by heating the lid to a temperature higher than the plate (e.g., 40°C). This gradient and the active humidity control by the ibidi Gas Incubation System prevent condensation on the lid of the cell culture vessel, which is crucial for non-disturbed high-quality microscopy images. The Heated Plate maintains the sample temperature at a constant 37 °C.
Stable and Homogeneous Temperature
The ibidi Heating System Multiwell Plate – Silver Line, ensures a precisely controlled, stable temperature in the Incubation Chamber with homogeneous distribution across the wells of the cell culture vessel. The temperature is controlled via continuous current, which reliably prevents position fluctuations and makes the system optimal for high-resolution live cell microscopy with a stable focus.
Stable and consistent temperature distribution in the µ-Plate 96 Well Black during the incubation in the ibidi Heating System Multiwell Plate – Silver Line. Images were acquired with a FLIR thermal camera.
High Magnification and Immersion Oil Microscopy: Objective Heater Extension
The ibidi Heating System – Silver Line can be extended with the Objective Heater Universal – Silver Line. Microscope objectives that require close approximation to the sample (e.g., high magnification or high NA objectives) might cause cooling of the sample by thermal transfer from the sample to the objective, when the objective is not heated. This thermal transfer also occurs when using immersion oil. Adequate heating of the objective by the Objective Heater prevents cooling of the sample, enabling long-term high-resolution imaging of living cells.
The Components of the ibidi Heating System Multiwell Plate – Silver Line
|ibidi Temperature ControllerStable and precise temperature regulationIndependent temperature control of the ibidi Incubation Chamber, and the ibidi Objective HeaterSimultaneous control of up to two ibidi Incubation Chambers and two ibidi Objective Heaters
|Incubation Chamber Multiwell Plate – Silver LinePhysiologic conditions for cells on the microscope with defined temperature, humidity, CO2, and O2Fits inverted microscopes with a K-frame (160 mm x 110 mm)Brilliant images: no disturbing condensation on the lid of the culture chamber due to Heated LidCompatible with multiwell plates with an ANSI/SLAS (SBS) standard format (85.5 x 127.5 mm2) including the ibidi µ-Plates